Seven – nothing, a ticket into the third round

2 August 2023

UEFA Conference League, third qualifying round second-leg against Tre Penne brought another exciting duel at Jana Dalina stadium, where Valmiera FC hosted the San Marino side. The first twelve minutes gave the hosts a convincing 4:0 that turned into 7:0 as the final whistle was blown.

Jurgis Kalns had to make some choices on the pitch as Ivan Zhelizko and Camilo Mena were no longer available. Adel Ghanem and Meissa Diop drew in as replacements.

The kick-off marked a firework display in the rainy stadium – Maksims Tonisevs instantly went for the goal as he paused and then moved past a defender to send the ball into the goal for the lead. The celebrations wouldn’t even have a chance to stop as straight after an own goal by the opponents was scored.

Reaching the 9th minute and we had another goal – this time Fraj Kairmani crossed for good luck from a corner – Roberts Veips was left all alone in the penalty area and the defender celebrated his long-awaited goal in front of a full stadium.

Kairmani’s generosity was then repaid by Alvis Jaunzems, who set up his teammate for the fourth goal and Valmiera appeared to have a run-away match sealed. Following these goals, the game slowed down and wasn’t too exciting on either side.

For the second half coach elected to replace Adel Ghanem giving a spot on the pitch to Kristers Cudars. Attacking football continued and Tre Penne had to hold down their fort so that the score wouldn’t become even more embarrassing, while Valmiera had other plans.

Tonisevs had one in his pocket and decided to go for another one – he received the ball in the penalty area, lifted his head up, and shot the ball into the right lower corner of the goal, while the keeper was powerless.

The stands demanded more and more goals as the team kept delivering their promise – not to stop until the final whistle. What felt like a nail in the coffin was Alioune Ndoye’s goal – a great setup and a beautiful header by Senegalian for 6:0.

Tre Penne had a rather short bench and at one point to save some time they made a strange substitution – a goalkeeper change close to the end of the match. That opened up an opportunity to look for more in the goal-scoring department. Alvis Jaunzems stood up to a free-kick and sent the ball for the final celebration – 7:0 as the end whistle was blown.

In the third round of the UEFA Conference qualifying we will be playing against Partizani from Albania. The games are currently scheduled for the 10th and 17th of August.

Our next game will be played on Sunday (06.08) when at Jana Dalina stadium we will be hosting FK Metta. Kick-off is set for 18:00.

Our partners